Groups in Gaggle are perfect for a group of friends that frequently fly together or for family members that want to keep a watchful eye on their loved ones while they go flying. Most pilots are part of the following types of groups:
- A private group with just yourself and family. This is ideal for cases where you want to keep loved ones informed about your flying activity. They will get notified when you start flying, and they can track your location in real-time while you fly. They will also get another notification when you land and your recording is uploaded.
- A small group with local flying friends. This is great for seeing each other’s live location on the map while you are flying and your friends flight recordings are automatically linked to yours once the recording is uploaded. You can also quickly see your friends recordings to compare stats and the Gaggle home page features recordings from your local groups. This is also ideal if you don’t want to share your location or recordings publicly and only wanted a trusted group of friends to see this information.
- Large community groups. This is great for cases where you are part of a larger flying community and want to see flights from your communities featured on the Gaggle home page. For these types of groups it is recommended to turn off notifications for the group, so you don’t get to many flying notifications when community members are flying.
Creating a group
If you want to make your own group in Gaggle, go to the Community screen, then select My Groups. In the My Groups screen, tap on the Create Group button to open the screen where you can create a new group. To make a group, you must provide a name, description, and possibly an image that will be utilised for the group. You can also decide if a group should be public or private. If a group is public, anyone can join the group.
Inviting others to a group
If a group is private, you must invite members to join the group. Once you have created a group, you can invite members to join the group by sharing the group invite link.
Changing group settings
To change the settings for a group you can tap the Settings button located in the top right corner of the groups detail page. From here you can change the following settings:
- Group Profile: You can the group name, description, and image.
- Privacy & Access: Make the group public/private and device if members should require approval before they can join.
- My Membership: Here you can view your group membership and optionally leave the group.
- Privacy: Choose if your recordings and live location should be shared with the group.
- Notifications: Here you can choose to if you want to get group flying and recording notifications.